Jordan Glen Preschool Concepts
Packed with joy, full of fun-filled learning, the PreK day involves space for active and quiet times, academic and artistic activities, as well as social and solo play. We are careful to include all of this, with some parts of the day child-selected, others teacher-directed. Our PreK students have time in both the part-time and full-time schedules to play outside and inside. Our curriculum involves elements of art, music, drama, reading, math, outside play, and foreign language, including Spanish and Sign Language. Each week includes theme-based 'classes', such as gardening, cultural studies, science, art, music, and sports.
The preschool schedule is Monday through Friday, either part-day (9am - 12:00pm) or full-day (9am-3pm). We do not offer a 2-day or 3-day option. Children can come as early as 8:30 at no additional charge.
Sample Daily PreK Schedule
8:30-9:00 • Free Play (Outdoors/Indoors)
9:00-9:30 • Circle Time/Morning Meeting
9:30-10:00 • Free Play (Outdoors)
10:00-10:30 • Snack
10:30-11:15 • Star Stations
11:00-11:15 • Free Play (Outdoors)
11:15-11:45 • Subject Learning (M-Nature Science, T-Math, W-Music & Movement, Th-Spanish, F-Sign Language)
11:45-12:00 • Exercise (Field, Playground, Nature Walk)
12:00-12:30 • Lunch
12:30-12:45 • Free Play (Outdoors)
12:45-1:45 • Quiet Time (Stories, Resting, Art)
1:45-2:15 • Small Group Activities
2:15-2:30 • Free Play (Blocks, Puppets, Books)
2:30-2:50 • Clean Up, Pack Up, Closing Circle
Morning Meeting – We begin every day by gathering the children together and having a quiet moment, sharing, and doing show-and-tell.
Star Stations - Each day sees varying activities inside and out, e.g. at the art tables and messy table. Children are never forced to take part in these activities, but they are encouraged to experiment and try out new concepts and skills every day.
Units – Each week we focus on different subjects, such as the senses, pets, food, transportation, dinosaurs, the weather, and more.
Class Time – Classes will include many different subjects, including Spanish, Drama, Gardening, World Studies, Manners, Math, Language Skills, Science, Sports, Music, Sign Language, and more.
Free Play – Supervised play inside and outside on the playground equipment. In addition to our organized activities, our room is set up for maximum learning and fun, with the kitchen center, sorting/puzzle corner, reading nook, art tables, music corner, dramatic prop boxes, block area and science corner.
Wash-Up – Children are encouraged and guided to wash hands and faces frequently!
Alphabet Time – Children learn about a different letter each week through talking about animals, singing songs, and using words and pictures that begin with the week's letter. We wrap up the week by choosing foods that begin with our weekly letter and cooking our Friday snack.
Mon. – Word Games • Tues. – Songs • Wed. – Animals • Thurs. – Art • Fri. – Cooking/Food
Snack / Lunch – Parents provide their children with morning and afternoon snacks and midday lunches. On Fridays the school provides the option to order pizza and lemonade.
Art – Throughout the week, children will enjoy messy art, crafty art, and group art where classmates work together to create pieces to decorate the classroom. We also work on tactile concepts as well as projects that build confidence and self-esteem in the students.
Music – Music time includes songs about our unit of study, vocal and instrumental instruction along with plenty of movement and dance.
Rest Time – Parents will have the choice of having their little ones encouraged to sleep or to just have a quiet time looking at books, coloring, and listening to music.
Pre-K Policies and Helpful Information
• Jordan Glen PreK has a staff to student ratio of approximately 1:7, not including our frequent parent volunteers.
• The non-refundable enrollment fee is due upon acceptance to the PreK and is completely applicable to the yearly tuition fee.
• Tuition is due on the 1st of every month. Late fees are $20 and are due after the 10th of the month.
• The daily schedule is from 9am - 3pm, with 8:30am arrival with supervised play for our early birds at no extra cost. Pickup is at 12:00pm or 3:00pm depending on the child's part-day or full-day enrollment. Jordan Glen also offers an aftercare program from 3pm-5pm.
• We ask that you please keep your sick children home from school. We will make our best effort to keep everyone healthy with regular washed hands and wiped noses, but the best prevention is to limit exposure.
• If you would like us to encourage your child to sleep during rest time, then we will do so. If your child does not usually nap, then quiet, fun activities will be provided for them during rest time.
• You and your children are very important to us. We are available to discuss any questions or concerns you might have about your child or about the PreK class. However, if you need more than a quick answer, please schedule a parent-teacher conference, since during school hours we focus our attention on the children.
The PreK Goal
Every day we strive to help your children foster a love of school and learning while we complement home teaching by providing the nurturing and guidance that little ones need as they start their school experience. While your children will be increasing their vocabulary, learning how to write their names and match numbers to quantities of objects, just as important, they will also be learning how to socialize with other children, follow simple classroom directions, and explore many types of learning environments. This combination of academic and social instruction will form a solid basis of learning and a development of tools and experiences that will serve Jordan Glen's youngest students during their future studies here and beyond, and for the rest of their lives.
Find our tution and fees here